My passion for science led to an undergraduate degree in Physics at Cambridge University. Soon afterwards I became fascinated with the intuitive and spontaneously creative intelligence of the body as revealed to me in the movement of T’ai Chi Ch’uan, Thai yoga massage and other body awareness and dance practices which I continue to this day.
Travelling in South East Asia after a meditation retreat I became infected with parasites, was eventually treated with antibiotics but remained plagued with ‘post-infectious IBS’. My ability to sleep gradually reduced to less than 5 hours per night over the next 5 years and I ended up in a state of chronic fatigue. I describe this as ‘getting a dose of old age before my time’ and I remember struggling to walk uphill very slowly and crossing the kitchen to get something only to forget what I was going to get and thus tasks taking much longer than desired due to my slower brain speed. This was frustrating but also at times I simply didn’t have enough energy to have a drama about the situation.
I did, however, put the energy I had into health and nutrition research and becoming inspired by an understanding of some of the fundamental biochemical processes underlying Chronic Fatigue Syndrome my interest in the scientific approach was rekindled. This eventually led to a 3-year diploma in Nutritional Therapy and a diploma in Naturopathy at the College of Naturopathic Medicine in London and as my fatigue, digestive issues, headaches, cramping, pain, skin lesions and other symptoms gradually improved I continued diving deeper into research and clinical practice.
I now specialise in gastrointestinal health and fatigue, with additional foci on nervous and endocrine health, pregnancy and fertility, methylation biochemistry and nutrigenetics.
Coming from a naturopathic/functional medicine background I am fascinated by how the various systems we have compartmentalised the body into are all interconnected in countless ways. Thus although gastrointestinal health and fatigue are my speciality, I investigate driving factors of disease such as hormonal imbalances, toxicity, inflammation, stress, nervous system health, sleep imbalances, underlying infections, nutrient imbalances, food sensitivities, biochemistry and our genetic predisposition to biochemical imbalances.
For example it is now known that the communication between the gut and the brain is bidirectional such that inflammation in the gut can cause inflammation in the brain and vice versa. Thus conditions such as depression, ‘brain fog’, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease may have their cause in gut imbalances even when there are no overt gastrointestinal symptoms. Conversely digestive issues may have their roots in inflammatory conditions affecting the brain, such as physical trauma to the head, emotional trauma, glycemic stress (from excess carbohydrate intake), neurotoxicity and depression.
I passionately believe that the vast majority of us could be living a life of abundant health, joy and energy.
I am a member of the British Association of Applied Nutrition & Nutritional Therapy (BANT) and The Institute Of Functional Medicine, a registered practitioner with the Complimentary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) and an associate member of The Royal Society Of Medicine.
Continuing Professional Development:
I have trained with nutritional therapists and functional medicine practitioners recognised as UK and global leaders in their fields and have completed the following professional trainings:
- March 2013 – Chronic Fatigue (Niki Gratrix, Alex Howard, Megan Arroll MSc PhD FHEA CPsychol CSci AFBPsS, Professor Basant Puri MA PhD MB BChir MathSci MMath FRCPsych FSB – CAM)
- June 2013 – Digestive Disorders (Christine Bailey, Professor Ingvar Bjarnason, Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride MD, Dr Tom O’Bryan – CAM)
- July 2013 – Endocrine & Toxicology Masterclass (Dr Sarah Myhill – BioCare)
- October 2013 – Clinical Trinity (Michael Ash DO ND BSc RNT & Antony Haynes – Nutri-Link)
- November 2013 – Female Health (Deborah Colson, Dr Marilyn Glenville PhD, Jo Gamble, Lorraine Nicolle MSc – CAM)
- November 2013 – Understand Stress Better, Treat Stress Better (Lisa Smith & Colin Wallace PhD – Nutri)
- December 2013 – Manopause (Roderick Lane ND – BioCare)
- February 2014 – Energise (Alessandro Ferretti – Biocare)
- March 2014 – Cardiovascular Health (Dr. Paul Clayton, Professor Svend Aage Mortensen, Philip Ridley – CAM)
- April-May 2014 – Healthy Estrogen Metabolism webinar series (Jo Gamble – Nutri)
- May 2014 – Anti-Ageing (Tom Fox MSc, Miguel Toribio-Mateas, Dr Robert Marshall PhD, Susan Downs MD, MPH, SM, MS ABIHM – CAM)
- June 2014 – Detoxification (Gilian Crowther, Anne Pemberton, Dr Robert Verkerk PhD, Dr Rajendra Sharma – CAM)
- June 2014 – Tired All The Time? (Roderick Lane ND – BioCare)
- June 2014 – Optimising Health and Lifespan Through Nutrition and Detoxification (Joseph Pizzorno ND & Lara Pizzorno Mdiv, MA, LMT – Nutri)
- June 2014 – Elementary? Solving Client Mysteries (Alessandro Ferretti – Biocare)
- July 2014 – Effective Thyroid & Adrenal Support (Jane Nodder MSc – ION)
- September 2014 – Auto-immunity (Dr Tom O’Bryan, Antony Haynes, Louise Carder, Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride MD – CAM)
- September 2014 – Advancements in Stool Analysis – The GI Effects® Stool Profiles: Reviewing Case Studies for Stool Analysis with a Focus on Nutrition (Dr Andrea Girman MD & Jo Gamble – Genova)
- September 2014 – Musculoskeletal Health (Lorraine Nicolle MSc – Lamberts)
- September 2014 – Clinical Application Of Functional Medicine (Dr Kristi Hughes ND, Dr Kevin Maki PhD, Dr Andrea Girman MD, Dr Joseph Lamb MD – The Institute For Functional Medicine)
- October 2014 – Functional Nutrition Head To Toe: Comprehensive and Innovative Approaches to Nutritional Assessment (Dr Elizabeth Botham MD MS RD, Dr Michael Stone MD MS, Dr Leslie Stone MD, Michael Ash DO ND BSc RNT, Dr Kristi Hughes ND – The Institute For Functional Medicine)
- October 2014 – Focus on Lyme Disease (CAM)
- November 2014 – Mindful Eating For Happiness (Katie Sheen – ION)
- November 2014 – Gut-Brain Axis (Charlotte Watts, Ben Brown ND, Umahro Cadogan – CAM)
- November 2014 – Gut Health (Lorraine Nicolle MSc – Lamberts)
- November 2014 – Parkinson’s Disease – Nutritional Support Within Integrative Care (Lucille Leader – ION)
- December 2014 – Juggling The Endocrine (Roderick Lane ND – BioCare)
- December 2014 – Mindful Approaches To Nutritional Change (Katie Sheen – ION)
- January-February 2015 – DNALifeTM Certification (Umahro Cadogan – Nordic Laboratories with DNAlysis Biotechnology)
- February 2015 – The Gut Imperative (Alessandro Ferretti – Biocare)
- February 2015 – Discover Methylation Module 1 (Robyn Puglia – Regenerus)
- February 2015 – Methylation Summit online conference (David Quig PhD, Cheryl Burdette ND, Ben Lynch ND)
- February 2015 – Multiple Sclerosis: nutritional management and medical collaborations (Lucille Leader – ION)
- February 2015 – Supporting Mind, Memory & Mood (Lorraine Nicolle MSc – Lamberts)
- March 2015 – Brain Health (Dale Bredesden MD, Professor – CAM)
- March 2015 – Gastrointestinal Health Workshop (Michael Ash DO ND BSc RNT, David Quig PhD, Alex Vasquez DC, ND, DO, FACN – Nutri-Link)
- March 2015 – Masterclass (Jonathan Wright MD – ANH)
- April 2015 – Nutrigenomics, Personalised Medicine and the Quantified Self (Miguel Toribio-Mateas, Anne Pemberton, Ben Lynch ND- CAM)
- April 2015 – Discover Methylation Module 2 (Robyn Puglia – Regenerus)
- May 2015 – Methylation & Clinical Nutrigenomics: Part 1- Video course – 13 hours (Ben Lynch ND)
- May 2015 – Genovations (Jo Gamble – Genova Diagnostics)
- May 2015 – Energy Beyond ATP (Harry Massey, Dr.Damien Downing MBBS MSB, Jim Oschman – CAM)
- June 2015 – The Biological Blueprint – Towards Individualised Nutritional Medicine (Alessandro Ferretti – Biocare)
- June 2015 – Methylation & Oxidative Stress, Hepatic Detoxification & Genomics – (Cheryl Burdette – Invivo Clinical)
- June 2015 – CAM Summit (Robyn Puglia, Gilian Crowther, Michael Ash DO ND BSc RNT, Tom O’Bryan DC CCN DACBN- CAM)
- June 2015 – Toxic Metals – Implications For Clinical Practice (Dr.Jenny Goodman MA MB ChB, Rachel Nicoll MSc BSc Dip ION, Dr. Shideh Pouria MB BS BSC MRCP UK PHD CMT – ION)
- June 2015 – Research Methods & Critical Appraisal (Dr.Kamran Abbasi, Dr.Christopher Martyn – Royal Society Of Medicine)
- June 2015 – Dysglycemia (Lorraine Nicolle MSc – Lamberts)
- July 2015 – Diagnosis & Treatment Of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Dr Sarah Myhill – Biocare)
- September 2015 – Recent Advances In Nutritional Therapy for Mental Health (Ben Brown ND, Robyn Puglia – Viridian)
- September 2015 – Meeting The Microbiome (Professor Tim Spector MD MSc MD FRCP, Ben Brown ND, Alessio Fasano MD – CAM)
- October 2015 – Applying Functional Medicine In Clinical Practice (Patrick Hanaway ND, Monique Class MS APRN BC, Dan Lukaczer ND, Joel Evans MD, Shilpa P. Saxena MD, Michael Ash DO ND BSc RNT – The Institute Of Functional Medicine)
- October-Novembr 2015 – SNPs Learning Series (Sterling Hill, Carolyn Ledowsky, Cynthia Smith – MTHFR Support)
- November 2015 – Cell Defence (Alessandro Ferretti – Biocare)
- November 2015 – Mind/Body Nutrition (Ashok Gupta, Dr. Barry Sears, Dr.William Walsh – CAM)
- December 2015 – Managing Side Effects Of Cancer Treatments (Nalini Chilkov – InVivo Clinical)
- January 2016 – The Chemical Resolution (Alessandro Ferretti – Biocare)
- January 2016 – Autoimmune Conditions (Lorraine Nicolle MSc – Lamberts)
- March 2016 – Neurotransmitter Balance (Antony Haynes – Nutri-Link)
- April 2016 – Detox – The Key To Healthy Ageing (Jean Monro PhD, Joseph Pizzorno ND – CAM)
- May 2016 – Feeding The Gut: Health Through Microbiome Modulation (Ben Brown ND, Kiran Krishnan, Tom O’Bryan DC CCN DACBN – CAM)
- June 2016 – CAM Summit (Ben Lynch ND, Dr.David Brady ND DC CCN DACBN, Dr.Dietrich Klighardt MD PhD, Emma Lane ND, Niki Gratrix – CAM)
- July 2016 – The practical utilisation of nutrigenomics for patient care – A focus on Mental Health (Anne Pemberton MSc – Cytoplan)
- September 2016 – Why nutrition is the key to Alzheimer’s (Dale Bredesden MD, Professor, Dr.Rangan Chaterjee – Cytoplan)
- September 2016 – Feeding the brain: nutrition for bullet-proof neuroimmunity (Miguel Toribio-Mateas, Dr.Francisco Molina-Holgado, Dale Bredesden MD, Professor – CAM)
- October 2016 – Nervous Breakdown (Alessandro Ferretti – Biocare)
- November 2016 – Nutrition Resolution (Dr.Jolanta Opacka-Juffry, Lou Lebentz, Dr.William Walsh – CAM)
- November 2016 – Female Hormones (Lorraine Nicolle MSc – Lamberts)
- May 2017 – Energy Adaptation (Alessandro Ferretti, Chris Newbold – Biocare)
- June 2017 – Weight Loss: A Functional Nutrition Approach (Lorraine Nicolle MSc – Lamberts)
- June 2017 – IHCAN Summit 2017 (Dr.William Walsh, Dr.Malcom Kendrick, Jeannette Hyde, Dr.Khalid Khan – IHCAN)
- November 2017 – Personalised Nutrition for Musculoskeletal Health (Lorraine Nicolle MSc – Lamberts)
- December 2017 – Gut Adaptation (Alessandro Ferretti – Biocare)
I spend many more hours increasing my knowledge base attending webinars and studying the latest research in all areas of health and nutrition.
Book a free no-obligation 20-minute telephone appointment using the box to the right to find out more about how I can help you.
Please note: I do not offer medical advice nor is my work a substitute for medical care. In the interests of your safety you will be required to sign my Terms Of Engagement.